After many months of tiny baby steps in between taking care of my mother I am excited to serve. Tomorrow, April 10, 2015 is the first day of my Awaken The Artist 31 Day Coloring Festival.
I have found that our creativity needs a little help from our inner child. One of the first creative tools a child picks up is a crayon and blank paper or a coloring book. And when we are all grown up and find ourselves stuck from life’s numerous escapades the creative inner child is ready to step in.
It is time to take it in deeper. This is how transformation happens.
WHAT IT WILL TAKE:
It is going to take TENACITY to do this work.
About 15 years ago I had the idea to create my very own print catalog and I thought it was going to be fast and easy. Each day I walked into my office thinking “today is going to be the day I finish the design” and each day I realized that there was so much to do. I wanted it to look just right! It took one solid month working from morning to night including the weekends. I barely even saw daylight and I was so excited to get started in the morning wondering just how far I would be at the end of the day. No matter what I kept going. I immersed myself in the design of my catalog and took my creativity to another level.
The same thing happened the end of 2011 when I had the idea to create my mandala coloring book. I had no idea it was going to take me a month and I just kept taking it one day at a time. I knew that once I finished I would be proud of my accomplishment. And I was and when I think about it right now it still makes me smile!
You must give yourself the time to immerse yourself in your creativity. You must be persistent practically everyday. Give yourself whatever it is going to take to embody your creative gift. Schedule time to create on a regular basis. And do it!
You may also want to schedule in some rest breaks because once you start creating at deep levels you may forget to eat!
ACTION IDEAS TO BEGIN:
Consider what you want to create. You may already have an idea that has been calling out to you!
Perhaps there is a collection of poetry you want to write.
Or maybe a collection of drawings ready to come out of you.
Or maybe you’d like to decorate cakes!!! Or paint. Or sew
If you are a dancer maybe you are ready to practice your moves!
Now is the time!
1. Carve out time in your calendar.
2. Buy the supplies you will need. Paper. Paint. Pencils. Markers. Material. Icing!
3. Create a comfortable, cheery space. I used to share this information with my clients when I was an ergonomics consultant! Clean and clear your space. Repair what is broken. Replace your chair or desk so that you can create in comfort. Open the blinds to let the light in.
4. Make your physical space so inviting you will love going in there everyday. Enhance the space with your works of art. Frame and hang your poetry, drawings, paintings, photography … whatever you have created that will feel good to have around you. Time to go pull all of your artwork out of the closet now! You may also want to decorate with art of others that you feel inspired by. Create a bright and cheery space.
5. Give yourself permission to be inspired by YOU!
6. Immerse yourself in your art. The more you do the easier it will become because you will be having so much fun.
“Christmas Day 2010 – I remember it like it was yesterday. I was at a family member’s house and an argument had begun. I made a simple comment about sea salt – yes you heard me right! Someone interpreted my comment in a particular way and we had to take a break from the festivities and practically duke it out! I stood my ground. I shared what I needed to from my heart and it quieted everything down. I realized that when we share from our heart what can anyone say at that point.
Two weeks later I let go of a valuable material possession that a family member borrowed and would not give back. After another week or two I began feeling so much emotion run through my body that I found myself in a fetal position. It was the only way I could find some relief. I had been “taken back” to my youth to examine the chaos that had been ensuing all around me. There I was …. a 12 year young girl seeing reliving her childhood and it was extremely difficult to be there.
I spent a considerable amount of time ripping apart my thought processes from that time of my life that was still very much in control of my adult life at the time. I have come a long, long way in the past few years and had no idea just how valuable that time in discovery would be for me.
This pathway is about going back into your past and looking around from the perspective of your inner child.
You may have enjoyed accessing your creativity yet if a teacher or parent scolded you for being creative (maybe you drew on your desk, wrote poetry or were the class clown) then this is the time that you began shutting down.
You may have tried many times to create in your unique way and it just took so much of your energy to “fight the establishment” that you eventually surrendered to the discouragement. Your creative urges were buried and in some cases completely forgotten.
Now decades later you either do not create or you start projects and leave then unfinished. Yet you are finding it more difficult each day to ignore the nudge to fulfill your creative dreams.
Prepare yourself for some ahas and many realizations about your life and why things have occurred as they have. Awareness precedes the changes you are seeking.
WHAT IT WILL TAKE:
It is going to take PERSISTENCE to look back into your life and see what is ready to be revealed. The persistence is also about allowing yourself to be with the process. What is ready to be revealed to you will be. Allow yourself to be with what is.
Discovery is about exploration and your willingness to keep going!
ACTION IDEAS TO BEGIN:
The act of letting go in pathway 1 naturally brings you to discovery. You can also go on an exploratory mission.
1) Scan your childhood starting as early as you can remember. Trust that what you are ready to see will come to your awareness.
2) If there is a situation or experience you have always remembered or that pops into your awareness from time to time there is a reason for it. Pay attention to these memories. These are your points of exploration.
3) There is a great chance that you are not emotionally connected to these experiences and they have been lingering in your consciousness so that you could take a closer look. There is information from these experiences that will be very helpful to you now in discovering what created your creative blocks.
4) Create a short list. Then choose one or two of them to journal about. You will find that the journaling creates deeper awareness and peace.
5) You may begin to remember what you felt at that time. Allow yourself to FEEL. You are safe.
Love and Light!
Wendy G Young
The Creativity Shaman
If your personal, magic genie entered your life today and said you would be granted a life living your biggest dream from childhood what would it be? Would you be ready to live your dream?
Go back to your youth and remember what you wished for. Your dream is your gift and it lit you up.
For me it was art.
And perhaps like me you did not have the opportunity to play in your gift at that time. That is because NOW is the time. We are living in a beautiful time to reclaim our gifts and live more happily then ever before.
I worked to discover myself over the past several years having no idea where it was going to take me. I was searching for my happiness even though I was not aware of it. I just kept doing my inner work to feel good more often and it worked!
And one of my other gifts is that I connect people to their Divine Gifts that have been hidden from view for decades. Now is the time in history to uncover those gifts, play and share with the world.
What is stopping you? When will you give yourself permission to connect to your gifts and live in your passion? Your gift is your ART. Yes, you are the artist of your life and you awake each day with a blank canvas. What is the art you are creating today? Everything is art. Look around. Look inside and tap into YOUR art!
Claim an inspiration session today and get started. Together we will create magic!
Love and Magic!
Ha! Well the perfectionist that lives inside of me attempted one more Ringside Flower Mandala drawing! Still not the same but perfect anyway. We creatives can just let go and create without worrying about getting it right. It is all right and perfect in this very moment. Play!
I am drawing one of the mandalas in my coloring book called “Ringside Flower.” As you will see the process is totally creative and I found it impossible to make it look EXACTLY like the one I originally drew! Enjoy and let me know how this video helps you!! xoxoxo Wendy
Created inside Whole Foods Market while eating a snack! On a whim I recorded what I always do wherever and whenever – I DRAW!
Visit my Facebook Awaken The Artist page, like it and post your art too! http://facebook.com/awakentheartist.com.